Monthly Garden Tips June
The month of June is perhaps the most beautiful garden month of the year: fresh greenery, growing plants, blooming flowers, cooling water and wonderful weather. Summer is in full swing, and to show your garden its best side, we from Aylings Garden Centre have some garden tips for you. Enjoy and let your garden shine!
- Water: it is important to give your plants and lawn enough water. The temperature can already rise considerably in June. Spray your plants and lawn at the end of the day. Don’t forget this, because otherwise with your plants will quickly hang. And of course, you don’t want that.
- Butterfly plants: who doesn't love a garden full of butterflies? We from Aylings Garden Centre certainly do. If you are also a butterfly lover then we have good news: you can easily attract butterflies by putting their favourite plants in your garden. Here are some examples: Lavandula spec., Buddleja davidii and Cosmos sulphurous.
- Pruning of the hedge: plan the pruning of your hedges on a cloudy day to prevent leaf burns. Before you start pruning, you can put plastic on the floor. So you can easily clean up the pruning waste. Sweeping is then (almost) unnecessary.
Do not trim the vertical side of the hedge exactly 90 degrees, but lightly pyramidal. This ensures that the underside of the hedge can also catch enough light. This way your hedge stays green and full. If you want to know more about hedges, you can take a look on our shrubs page.
- Prepare for your first harvest: have you created a vegetable garden in your garden? Then you can soon enjoy your first harvest! To make the most of this, do some preliminary work. For example, put some straw under the strawberries so that they stay clean and do not rot. This is a commonly used method. If you want to know more about a vegetable garden, you can take a look on our vegetable page.
- Control your plants: climbing plants and perennials grow quickly with this warm weather. Restrain them by tying them up. It is also sometimes necessary to provide support material so that the plant does not break. You can also guide the growth of the plant with support material. This is how you determine what your garden looks like. If you want to know more about climbing plants, you can take a look on our climbers page.
- Also, take good care of your lawn in June: your lawn needs manure and water in June. If you keep your lawn up to date you prevent yellow, dried-out spots and you keep the grass in top condition. You also have to cut the edges of the lawn straight. And remember: mowing is the magic word these warm months. Preferably mow the grass every week.