A rose in full bloom stops you in your tracks. It steals your heart with its paper-delicate petals and lures you in with its heady, romantic scent. Once you're truly captivated it's hard to resist filling your garden with the sumptuous butter yellows, sugar-spun pink, graceful white and blood red petals of this queen of flowers.
We're in love with roses too, so we've got a variety in our garden centre to grace every spot in your garden.
- Climbers and ramblers like 'New Dawn' and cream 'Alberic Barbier' scramble boisterously up trellises and wire supports to clothe walls in swathes of colour.
- Shrub roses make striking centrepieces to a border: free-flowering and highly perfumed, they'll bloom from June till September. Apricot 'Buff Beauty' or deep pink 'Comte de Chambord' are good choices.
- Patio roses like pale pink 'Gentle Touch' or pure white 'Diamond' are dainty, smaller shrubs bred for their ability to thrive in containers. Smothered in blooms, they're long-flowering and brilliantly colourful.
- Ground cover roses spread out in low, graceful arches to cover the ground in dense foliage and flowers. The 'Flower Carpet' series come in gold, pink, white and scarlet.
Keep your roses healthy
How do you keep roses healthy? Here are some tips:
- Roses love sun and space. Plant them in a place with at least 5 to 6 hours of sun (or choose a species that also does it in partial shade) and where there have not been roses before (rose petals!).
- Flowering takes a lot of energy, so give special rose fertilizer twice a year (after the spring pruning and the first flowering).
- Water regularly, because roses are sensitive to dry soil.
- Lice love roses, so pay attention to over-fertilization of nitrogen.
- Use a very sharp pruning shears. It makes smooth wounds that make fungal infections less likely.
Get your roses at Aylings Garden Centre
Visit Aylings Garden Centre near Liphook for a wide range of roses. We also offer a lot of other garden plants as annuals, perennials and shrubs. We welcome you to stroll around in our garden centre and enjoy a cup of tea and/or lunch in our Tea Room while you are here! You can found our opening hours on our contact page. We hope to see you soon in our garden centre!